Thursday, March 8, 2012

Nietzsche? Meh . . .

My first impression of Nietzsche are a mixed bag.  On the one hand, the man was a special thinker.  He seems different than any other Western "philosopher"I've run across.  Then again, he is like every other Western philosopher where it counts.

Generally, though, the good outweighs the bad.

But not enough to waste time commenting on the man's thinking, particularly in criticizing it, which is I what I would be doing more often than not.  Yes, he was special, but he was just as flawed as each of us and more so than some.

Personally, I believe that one of the reasons the man's legacy lives on is that it helps perpetuate the myth that there is no agency behind the evil we witness on a daily basis (unless, of course, the evil involves a poor person of color attacking an unworthy victim).  His views on religion are particularly naive, which makes him a useful idiot.