Thursday, March 17, 2011

Rejoining the Corporatist World

Earlier this week I (mostly) left my consulting business to take a position at a publicly traded corporation.  Usually, in this kind of situation, one would say that I rejoined the "corporate world," but my choice of words was quite deliberate: I have once again taken a position as an executive in a publicly traded corporation. 

This whole thing happened VERY quickly.  In less than two weeks, I went from first interview to working in an office again.  What excited me about the opportunity were the magnitude and number of the challenges and the rewards for successfully overcoming them.  And I have to admit that I'm already having a lot of fun putting out fires, on the one hand, and making people feel better (and be better), on the other.

My position puts me in the thick of all sorts of conflicts and disputes.  My early conclusion is this: everybody in the corporate (and corporatist) world is so consumed with their jobs that they have little or no understanding of the broader world. 

In many ways, a "job" is the ultimate escape from reality.

I anticipate that my blogging will increase as a result of my recent change in status.  I find it exhilarating to be working with so many new people, even the people who think they're my enemy because we work at different companies.  Humanity, for all its flaws, is fascinating.