Sunday, September 11, 2011

This Grows Tiresome

Update:  Both my comments are now up at NC.  Apparently, something I said got caught in a filter.  I don't know what word caused the hiccup (liberal, maybe?).  In any event, the explanation Yves gave Russ for how comments are moderated/filtered does not match my experience.

Earlier this evening, I posted a comment on Naked Capitalism.  I did not attempt to post, I confirmed that I had posted.  I saw it with my own two eyes.

I looked a bit later, and my comment had been disappeared.

What kills me is that my comment was not the least bit disrespectful or even critical.  Indeed, it was much along the lines of what I set forth immediately below:


So . . . let me try this again.

Nice effort, Richard.

The problem, as I see it, is that you've identified as "radical" things that were part and parcel of classical liberalism.

If you are correct, and I'm not saying that you aren't, then today's liberal is a neoliberal, not a clssical liberal.

Adams Smith, a classical liberal, was anti-corporate.

Teddy Roosevelt, a classical liberal, although labeled a "conservative" was anti-monopoly (what you call "anti-trust").  The fact is that many businessmen were anti-monopoly in the late 19th century, before the "Progressive Era" (i.e., during the Gilded Age).  Check out the online archives of the NY Times.
If it truly is "radical" to embrace classical liberal ideology, we're all screwed. 
IF you are correct, that means that the modern "progressive" embraces the neoliberal frame of negative liberty, which is in opposition to the classical liberal frame of positive liberty.  No wonder modern progressives cannot win: they give up before the fight.
But when I tried to post up THIS comment, it got disappeared immediately. 

Yves is part of the neoliberal establishment.  Period.

Confirmation:  I now have a screenshot showing the above-quoted comment identified in the "Recent Comments," but when you click on the link, you are delivered to a page that does not include that comment (i.e., the place where the comment was actually made).  This truly grows tiresome.  There is nothing in the above comment that is worthy of moderation, even if you think I personally need to be moderated.